Text to speech
Search

"Coronavirus (COVID-19) and NDIS Service Delivery"

lauren_ep
A discussion for Coronavirus (COVID-19) and NDIS Service Delivery created by lauren_ep Moderator

Description

Our country is currently experiencing a moment in time where Coronavirus (COVID-19) is the main topic of conversation everywhere you go. But when information regarding the COVID-19 is readily available everywhere, how do you know what's correct? And how do you apply this to your NDIS Service Delivery?

Our moderators are here to help clarify any questions you might have about providing NDIS supports and services during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Disclaimer: Everyday Practice's moderators are not trained medical professionals. For any medical related queries regarding Coronavirus COVID-19, please contact your GP or the Australian Government's National Coronavirus Hotline on 1800 020 080.

Discussion responses (2)

Respond to this discussion
Response by: greg_boon1
2 Replies

Hi, I'm looking to find out if there are any new obligations that NDIS providers must adhere to specifically around the corona virus/infection control in general. Specifically in relation to providing supports that involve accessing the community or group and centre based activities. If so what do I need to be aware of and follow, and if not what can I do to best ensure the safety of my participants and staff during this time?

lauren_ep
lauren_ep's reply

Hi greg_boon1,

Thanks for getting in touch. 

Currently there are no additional obligations that NDIS Providers are required to adhere to regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19). 

However, the following Provider Alert published by the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission from Monday 9th March, 2020 outlines the obligations of NDIS Providers during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. 

https://ndisqualityandsafeguardscommission2.createsend.com/campaigns/reports/viewCampaign.aspx?d=t&c=A59C71609F708766&ID=9C5445C9286848A02540EF23F30FEDED&temp=False&tx=0

The NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission also has a dedicated page on their website to support information regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19); which Everyday Practice recommends you review. 

https://www.ndiscommission.gov.au/resources/coronavirus-covid-19-information

Additionally, the Australian Government's Department of Health has released the following online training module: COVID-19 Infection Control Training. Everyday Practice highly recommends all NDIS Providers and there staff take the time to complete this training. 

https://covid-19training.com.au/login.php

Ultimately the choice  to continue  providing community access supports and group and centre based activities rests upon you as the NDIS Provider, until further guidance is released from the Australian Government's Department of Health, your State's Health Department or the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission. 

You are servicing a vulnerable population and are expected to continue with your risk management practices for your staff, NDIS Participants and business operations as per usual. 

I hope this answers your query and please feel free to get back in touch in you have any further questions. 

greg_boon1
greg_boon1's reply

Thanks for your fast response and detailed information. I'll definitely be following up with the training and contact you again if I need anymore help.

Response by: chlnij_swo
2 Replies

Are there any guidelines I can direct my SWs too outlining the exclusion period if they are unwell?

lauren_ep
lauren_ep's reply

Hi chlnij_swo,

Currently the Australian Government has provided guidance around exclusion through self-quarantine that is predominantly aimed towards people who have returned from overseas since Monday 16th March, 2020 or people who have been in contact with a person either suspected or confirmed to have contracted Coronavirus (COVID-19). 

There is however further published guidance for healthcare and aged care workers, which you could use to guide your business practices. 

Specifically, the Australian Government has developed resources to support workers in these sectors and you could refer your business' support workers to these resources until further guidance from the Australian Government or your State Government is provided. 

https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-information-on-work-attendance-and-testing-for-health-and-residential-aged-care-workers

https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-health-care-and-residential-care-workers

I hope this answers your query and please feel free to get back in touch in you have any further questions. 

chlnij_swo
chlnij_swo's reply

Thank you.

Login or register to start a new discussion

Visit Another Topic

• Topic 1: What is Quality and Safety in the NDIS?

Quality and Safeguards ensure high quality and safe supports are provided to all NDIS participants. Quality is about receiving a high standard of support services. Safeguards are ways of keeping people safe from harm when they are receiving services and also support them to have more choice and control in their lives.

Topic 1: What is Quality and Safety in the NDIS?

Visit this topics forum
  • Topic 2: Provider Registration and Participant Safety

Understanding provider registration and the importance of providing high quality supports to ensure the safety and wellbeing of NDIS participants.

Topic 2: Provider Registration and Participant Safety

Visit this topics forum
  • Topic 3: Core Practice Standards and the NDIS Code of Conduct

A breakdown of the Core Practice Standards and NDIS Code of Conduct to ensure providers understand these as well as their obligations.

Topic 3: Core Practice Standards and the NDIS Code of Conduct

Visit this topics forum
  • Topic 4: Complaints and Incident Management

Complaints and incidents are managed well when NDIS Providers respond promptly and appropriately and engage NDIS Participants in open and honest communication.

Topic 4: Complaints and Incident Management

Visit this topics forum
  • Topic 5: Privacy, Consent and Record Keeping

NDIS Providers are obligated to ensure their daily operations maintain their NDIS Participants' privacy by upholding confidentiality, ensuring consent to collect and use private information is obtained and keeping accurate and up-to-date records.

Topic 5: Privacy, Consent and Record Keeping

Visit this topics forum
  • Topic 6: What a 'Best Practice Compliance' Provider Looks Like

"Best Practice" means different things to different people. Something that is important to one NDIS Participant will likely be very different to another NDIS Participant. Similarly, NDIS Providers are also likely to hold different opinions on what is important in their service delivery.

Topic 6: What a 'Best Practice Compliance' Provider Looks Like

Visit this topics forum